Monday, December 10, 2012

Binding the Pages

 
Everyone has their own technique for finishing and binding the pages. Here's mine. All of the designs were created in landscape form on the page. The width of felt is 9 inches give or take so I made sure the length of each design was 9 as well. Make sure you alternate left and right margins when you create pages. You will need to sew together pages with a left and a right open space to create a binding. Here are my tic tac toe and Bingo pages as they went together. I folded over the edge of the open margin making sure to measure one inch in from the edge of the fold. Pin, pin, pin and sew. Once this is done for each page, I sewed around the four sides to connect the two pages.
 
 
 
Make sure all of the ribbons, tethers, whatever you have on the page are placed correctly and out of the way as you sew the two pages together.
 
 
To help make sure all the grommets are in alignment, I used one finished page as a template. I took a fine line Sharpie pen and poked it through the grommets of a finished page to mark the spots I need to place grommets on the page I am working on.
 
 
 
This doesn't leave a big obvious mark at all. It is just enough guidance. Many grommet directions want you to cut a hole. I was too chicken. I poked instead of cutting.
 
 
I used a meat fork to make the initial puncture through both pages. If it needed to be enlarged, I pushed through one blad of my sewing scissors. I was then able to push through the grommets, and with four light taps of a regular hammer the grommets were set. I used the regular Dritz brand that is sold at Michael's/Joanns and had zero problem with them holding. Perhaps it is because I have four layers of felt where each grommet is placed?
 
 
My finished binding has two grommets and one straight seam. Easy peasy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment