Sunday, December 9, 2012

North to Alaska


 
I lived in Alaska until I was 7 years old so this was a walk down memory lane for me. Consider making your pages personal with scenes from your region or where you grew up.
 
This is a two page spread. On the right side there is an artic landscape with igloo, spiky snow-covered mountains and a small iceberg floating in the water. I used navy sparkled felt for the night sky which turned out lovely. I also outlined the Big Dipper and Little Dipper in the night sky.
 
There are six artic animals that you can play hide and seek with: killer whale, seal cub, artic hare, wolf, penguin, and polar bear cub. All of the animals are from online artwork that I printed out on iron on transfer paper. They are much cuter than anything I could create on my own.
 
 
There is a button hole hiding spot in the water under the iceberg, in the entrance of the igloo, at the back of the igloo, and the entire mountain range is one long storage pocket/hiding spot.
 
The opposite page has the classic mitten. I made it of fleece for extra coziness and added white fleece to the wrist. The snowman was a last minute addition after I had sewn it to the page. That was tricky to do. Better planning is key.
 
In the area to the left of the mitten I made a replica of the Ididarod race. There are 3D mountains that you can lift into place above the ice field.
 
A small replica of a musher pulled by a sled dog is tethered to the page.
 
 
There are stylized hazards for the dog sled team to avoid: a crack in the ice and a wind storm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment